If you want to know how to feel naturally pretty in a world that features heavy makeup and hot trends, you’ve come to the right place. Many people today are turning towards natural beauty and embracing simplicity in hair, makeup, and clothes.
Here are 15 tips how to feel naturally pretty:
- Stop comparing yourself to others.
- Get proper exercise.
- Use natural products.
- Get a safe amount of sunlight every day.
- Exfoliate your feet.
- Try a natural deep conditioner.
- Get healthy.
- Do your nails.
- Try new clothes.
- Work on your confidence.
- Revamp your makeup.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Try a new hairstyle.
- Eat a clean diet.
- Dare to go makeup-free.
Below you’ll discover some great details on how to feel naturally beautiful. If you want to improve your natural beauty and gain more confidence in your own skin, these tips can guide you in the right direction.
1. Stop Comparing Yourself to Others
If everyone on the planet looked like perfect plastic dolls, what kind of world would that be?
No one in the world looks exactly like you (unless you have a twin).
- When we compare ourselves to others, we’re more likely to feel inadequate and depressed. That doesn’t help our self-esteem.
The truth is, when you focus on what you HAVE instead of what you don’t, you automatically feel prettier. Take a look in the mirror and make a list of 3 things you like about yourself. Focus on those things instead of the things you don’t have.
You are unique and beautiful in your own natural way. When we celebrate our differences instead of trying to look like a model, we appreciate unique individual beauty for what it is.
2. Get Proper Exercise
|For Safety: It’s important to first talk with your medical doctor to determine what kind of exercise is safe and appropriate for you.|
You’ll automatically feel naturally prettier when you get enough of the right kind of exercise, as approved by your doctor.
- A scientific review said that exercise helps reduce the symptoms of depression. 1
When you get fit, stronger, and start to feel better in your own skin, you feel more beautiful. Most agree that people who exercise regularly just look better.
Not all exercise is good for all people. Some people have preferences as to what they enjoy. Some people hate certain forms of exercise!
The key is to choose the kind of exercise that’s right for you. And stick to it.
And yes, yoga is a form of exercise. There are cardio yoga classes that will get you breathing hard and your heart rate up. You can also choose strength power yoga, or go for gentler classes if strenuous exercise isn’t your cup of tea.
I love to exercise in the privacy of my own home. I bought a few sets of dumbells that I keep handy to build up lean muscle tissue in my spare time.
I also own a yoga mat and do a lot of Travis Eliot videos for free online. Here’s one I love from his YouTube channel:
Here are some other great forms of exercise:
Sometimes it’s better to mix up your workout routine. It can reduce your risk of injury, keep you motivated, and prevent boredom. It’s important to choose a system that works for you and one that will keep you doing it for the rest of your life. Always ask your doctor before starting any form of exercise.
If you get bored, change your form of exercise if your doctor approves it. It’s better to try something new instead of just quitting.
3. Use Natural Products
You’ll feel naturally prettier when you use natural products instead of chemicals and artificial ingredients in your beauty routine.
Here are 5 quick additions to your natural beauty routine:
- Natural Toner – My favorite natural face toner after a shower is rose water. I spray it all over my face and follow with a natural moisturizer. It smells amazing and brings me a little closer to nature. Here’s an article all about natural toners. And here are my top picks.
- Natural Moisturizer – It’s seriously surprising that there are very few all-natural moisturizers on the market today. It seems like companies just can’t help themselves by putting some kind of chemical in there. My favorite all-natural moisturizer is either raw sesame oil for light moisturizing, or raw shea butter for deeper moisturizing. Here’s the shea butter I use.
- Natural Soap – There’s nothing like using natural soap in the shower. It feels and smells pure, clean, and nourishing. It leaves my skin soft, hydrated, and definitely not itchy. Since it doesn’t contain harsh detergents, it keeps my skin happy and in a balanced state. Here are my top picks for natural bar soap.
- Natural Hair Products – I love using shampoo and conditioner that are based on natural ingredients. They leave my hair feeling healthier and smelling like I spent the shower in a beautiful nature scene.
- Natural Makeup – Of course, we all know that natural beauty should allow us to run free without makeup, but for those of us who still want that polished look, there are some great natural makeup options out there.
If you want to feel naturally pretty again, the above natural products can get you one step closer. They provide easy ways to look beautiful naturally every day.
How can I make my face glow naturally?
If your dermatologist approves, try gentle exfoliation with a soft washcloth in the shower for 30 seconds, once per week. Pat dry, then spray with pure rose water. Lightly massage in an ultra-thin layer of shea butter to create a gorgeous natural glow.
This is my favorite way to get glowing skin naturally.
4. Get a Safe Amount of Sunlight Every Day
|Note: Always consult your dermatologist before exposing your skin to direct sunlight. Prolonged sun exposure isn’t appropriate for all people. For your safety, only get the amount of sunlight that your doctor recommends for your skin type and location.|
- A study revealed that depressed people who got less sunlight had a higher chance of having cognitive impairment. 2
If you have good mental health, you’re more likely to feel prettier. If you’re depressed, you probably won’t be as optimistic about your looks.
A safe amount of sun exposure can also give your skin a natural glowing tan that can take you from ghostly pasty to something that looks healthier.
The Sun also helps the body make vitamin D, which is important for good health.
When you get the right amount of sun, you may:
- feel better
- look better
- improve your health and well-being 3
Feeling good and looking good go hand-in-hand.
5. Exfoliate Your Feet
Have you been neglecting your feet lately? Are they dry, cracked, or just some version of ewww? Exfoliating your feet is a great way to feel naturally pretty in one day.
Some people are very picky about how their feet look and for whatever reason, expect others to have the same standards. My mom judges people by how clean their feet and toenails are!
The feeling you get when all the dead skin is removed from your feet is almost out of this world. They feel lighter, much smoother, and definitely prettier.
How to exfoliate your feet:
IMPORTANT: For safety, make sure your feet and toenails are perfectly healthy and free of disease, fungus, and infection before exfoliating. If you’re not sure, consult your medical doctor or podiatrist before trying any kind of foot care.
- Soak your feet in warm water for at least 20 minutes. This can be done while you’re enjoying a bath.
- Use a good pumice stone to gently scrub away any dead skin on your heels, soles, and rough spots around toes.
- Rinse your feet in clean water.
- Dry your feet.
- Apply a generous amount of raw shea butter all over your feet, including toenails.
- Carefully put socks over your feet to help the shea butter soak in. Keep the socks on overnight, if possible.
- Enjoy the feel of your beautiful new feet.
6. Try a Natural Deep Conditioner
A great way to feel naturally pretty faster is to try a deep conditioner. There are many different kinds for all hair types. Choose the one that’s right for you.
- Here are my top picks for hair products that are based on natural ingredients, including deep conditioner (click link for details).
The weather, hot tools, and some shampoo can make our hair dry and dull. A good deep conditioner is a great way to quickly restore moisture, softness, and shine back into the hair. It makes the hair feel much improved and gives a big confidence boost.
If you want to know how to look beautiful naturally in one day, a good deep conditioner could do wonders.
7. Get Healthy
A person is less likely to feel beautiful when they’re sick. Or even just worn down. How can we feel pretty when we don’t get enough sleep and there are dark circles under our eyes?
If you don’t feel right, it’s important to make an appointment with your medical doctor to see what’s going on. They’ll be able to steer you in the right direction to get your health back on track. This can be a deal maker or breaker.
A doctor can go over the following health basics with you:
- Your diet
- Your exercise habits
- Your energy levels
- Your mental health
- Your sleep habits
- Your weight
- Your vitamins and supplements
- Your skin type
- If you have a food sensitivity or allergy
If you prefer the kind of doctor that supports more of a natural and holistic approach, a doctor of functional medicine might be a good fit.
If you want to find a doctor of functional medicine in your area, search for the credentials “MD” or “DO” next to the provider name on the Institute for Functional Medicine website (click link to go to their page). Choose “Advanced Search Options” and select the tab that says “Primary Degree” to choose the option “MD/DO“. That will ensure you get a real medical doctor.
A doctor of functional medicine takes a deeper look at things like your diet, exercise, lifestyle, and tries to treat the cause of the problem. They’re also qualified to prescribe any necessary medication, if appropriate. Many accept insurance.
8. Do Your Nails
Your nails can speak magnitudes. Cleaning up your nails with a manicure is a great way to feel naturally pretty in one day.
Here are some big no-no’s:
- Dirt under your fingernails
- Ripped and ragged cuticles
- Rough nail surface
- Unshapely nails
- Dry hands
If you have any on the above list, you’ll feel much prettier naturally when you fix them. There are all kinds of tools and tricks out there to help you along.
If you can afford it, go to a nail salon and have them do it for you. If you want to save money and think you can manage at home, there are tons of articles and videos online that will show you how to do your nails naturally.
For natural nails, here are 6 guidelines:
- Don’t apply nail polish. A buffer can shine the surface of healthy nails to make it look like you’re wearing a clear coat of polish when you’re not.
- Make sure your cuticles are gently pushed back, even, and smooth.
- Shape your nails so they’re all uniform.
- Apply a natural moisturizer to your hands, nails, and cuticles daily.
- Remove all dirt from under your nails.
- Avoid acrylic nails and anything with chemicals.
9. Try New Clothes
If you want to feel naturally pretty, try changing out your wardrobe with something new. The key is to wear something that makes you feel good.
If you’re attracted to a certain style, then, by all means, that’s what you should wear. It’s so important to dress for you and not for others. Obviously, we need to dress appropriately for the situation, but there’s a lot of flexibility there.
Natural clothing is becoming more and more popular these days and styles are getting way more fashionable than they used to be.
The old days are gone when wearing linen or organic cotton was a hippie thing.
Modern natural clothing is stylish, comfortable, and conscious.
Nowadays, natural fibers in clothing have become all the rage. High designers have embraced these fabrics and are creating gorgeous apparel from them all over the world.
Some of the most popular natural fabrics are:
- Organic Cotton
- Linen (Flax)
More and more people want clothing that’s simpler, cleaner, easier, sustainable, and more comfortable.
The wave of the future is feeling good in our own skin. Looks are secondary.
10. Work on Your Confidence
Thankfully, working on one’s mental health these days has become fashionable and popular. Everyone knows that it’s just as important to have good mental health as it is physical health. We all need to give equal attention to both. No one is perfect (that would be boring).
|Note: It’s totally normal if you don’t have loads of confidence! It’s a skill that can be worked on and developed.|
If you want to feel naturally pretty and confident, it would be a good idea to have your medical doctor refer you to the appropriate mental health professional. There are many different kinds of techniques that can be used to gain confidence. Ask your doctor what approach is right for you.
Since each person is unique and all circumstances aren’t the same, it’s reasonable to expect that each person should receive individualized confidence-building strategies under professional guidance.
- When we’re more confident, we’re going to naturally feel better about our looks as a result. If we have bad self-esteem, we’re less likely to feel pretty.
When we truly learn how to love ourselves, we start to feel better.
Confidence and beauty go hand-in-hand. Gaining self-esteem is a great way to feel prettier naturally.
11. Revamp Your Makeup
Okay, so wearing makeup is obviously not natural, but there’s a time and place for everything. It’s possible to create a natural makeup look and to use products that are more natural.
If you want to feel naturally pretty with makeup, try this:
- Skip primer and only apply an all-natural moisturizer.
- Don’t cake on the foundation. Avoid it, if possible.
- Light concealer can take the place of foundation if you only have a few spots to cover.
- Use natural shades that are neutral or earthy. Avoid loud colors.
- Use a clear brow gel.
- Make sure your eyebrows are shaped and groomed.
- If you must use blush, minimize it.
- Don’t pack on the mascara or eyeshadow. Keep it natural.
- Skip eyeliner or draw a soft faint line in a neutral shade of shadow.
- Use a clear natural lip balm. Here are the best ones.
If your makeup is expired, definitely throw it out. Bacteria and all kinds of yuck can grow in old makeup. Be sure to get rid of it and replace it with something natural.
So many drugstore and retail makeup products are full of chemicals and artificial ingredients. If you prefer to keep things more natural, here are the makeup products I recommend.
12. Maintain a Healthy Weight
Many people don’t feel beautiful because of their weight. Some people complain they’re too thin or too heavy. Others just don’t like the flab in certain departments.
- When you’re healthy, you’re happier.
- It’s better to be at a healthy weight than to suffer at an unhealthy weight.
When you’re not at a healthy weight, you’re less likely to be happy with how you look. Some people get really depressed when they look in the mirror after gaining weight. This is understandable, but it’s not the end of the world.
Work with your doctor to get you back to a healthy weight.
It’s natural and normal to gain weight in certain situations, such as after a baby.
|Are you underweight or overweight?|
|CALCULATE YOUR BMI: Click here for BMI calculator from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute|
You can determine if you’re a healthy weight by calculating your body mass index, also known as BMI. The link above takes you to a free BMI calculator. Always talk with your medical doctor to figure out the best way to get your weight healthy and stable.
13. Try a New Hairstyle
Trying out a new hairstyle is a wonderful and easy way to feel naturally beautiful.
It’s possible to totally change your look without spending a lot of money. You can use the styling tools you already own to create a brand new look. One of the best ways to get a new hairstyle is by watching a how-to video tutorial. There are tons of them online. Just choose the one that’s right for your hair type and personal style.
For fun, you can try:
- A braid or fishtail
- A low or high bun
- Side ponytail
- Half up, half down
If you don’t want to do this alone, you can visit your local salon and ask your beautician for a natural cut and style. They’ll be able to give you all kinds of professional tips that are best suited to your facial shape, hair type, and lifestyle.
- All great hairstyles look better when the proper products are used. Here are my favorite hair products with natural ingredients.
14. Eat a Clean Diet
We all know that we don’t feel great when we eat tons of junk food. Too much processed food can reduce our skin’s vibrant glow and make us feel sluggish.
Since refined junk food isn’t completely natural, it’s less likely to make us feel pretty in the long run. Many people blame unhealthy fast food for their weight gain.
Talk to your doctor and determine what kind of diet is safe and recommended for you. Each person has different needs.
Many people who eat a plant-based diet report glowing skin.
A vegan diet isn’t for everyone, but many people who take the leap not only feel better, but they look better and have loads of energy. Always talk with your doctor before making any dietary changes.
- BOOK RECOMMENDATION FOR PLANT-BASED DIET: “How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease” by Michael Greger, M.D. FACLM.
You can improve your natural beauty with a clean diet.
15. Dare to Go Makeup-Free
If you’re willing to take the plunge and want to know how to look beautiful without makeup naturally, just know that you’ve opened yourself to exciting new possibilities. Not everyone wants to have a caked-on face when talking up close with people in the broad sunlight. If you think about it, all that makeup looks unnatural. There are perks to ditching it.
How can I make myself look prettier without makeup?
- Always do your hair. If you immaculately groom your hair into a gorgeous style of your choice, you’re automatically going to look tons better, even without makeup. Find a polished hairstyle that looks fabulous on you, and skip the makeup. Dumpy hair will make any look a nightmare.
- Use an all-natural moisturizer. For youthful, hydrated, and glowing skin, apply a good moisturizer right after washing your face. Make sure it’s based on natural ingredients. It’s best to avoid chemicals and artificial ingredients in your natural products as much as possible.
- Groom and shape your eyebrows. Removing stray hairs and getting a good shape in your brows sets a striking frame for your face that’s natural and beautiful. Eyebrows that are groomed properly make a face appear much more striking and defined, especially without makeup.
- Wear a rhinestone accessory in your hair. One of the most beautiful everyday pieces to wear in your hair is a jeweled headband. It makes a gorgeous statement alone and looks good without makeup. You can also choose from jeweled hair elastics, beaded clips, or anything that fits your style.
- Put on your favorite jewelry. The right jewelry can make your all-natural makeup look appear elegant and simple. Sometimes less is more. If a person’s makeup is too heavy and they have on eye-catching jewelry, it can be overkill. It’s best to let one feature shine for simple beauty.
- For a natural glow, apply a touch of raw shea butter. A pea-sized amount of raw shea butter rubbed between your palms and patted gently on your cheekbones, cupid’s bow, upper eyebrows, and anywhere the light hits makes the face glow and radiate beauty. Note: always ask your dermatologist if raw shea butter is right for your skin type.
If you want to know how to look naturally pretty without makeup, the above tips will help steer you in the right direction.
All the above examples provide you with many ways to feel naturally pretty. Not everyone knows how to look beautiful and attractive naturally, as obvious as it may seem. Living a natural lifestyle can be a lot harder to pull off than many people think. It takes work, dedication, and decision-making.
Looking beautiful and feeling beautiful are 2 completely different things.
Learning how to feel naturally beautiful can be rewarding on many levels. Not only can it improve your health, but it can also help you gain confidence.
It’s possible to look beautiful without makeup naturally. If you gain the right knowledge and take time to implement it, you can pull off a look that’s glowing, refined, and attractive.
Using natural products in your beauty routine can go a long way in making you feel more connected to nature.
- Here are my top picks for the best natural beauty products out there (click link for product page on this website).
|DISCLAIMER: The author is not a medical doctor. Nothing in this article is to be taken as medical or health advice of any kind. It’s for information purposes only. Always consult your medical doctor before taking any new action regarding your health or wellness. Your doctor’s advice should be followed carefully. Nothing in this article should take the place of medical advice given to you by your doctor or a qualified professional.|
- Craft LL, Perna FM. The Benefits of Exercise for the Clinically Depressed. Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry. 2004; 6(3): 104-111. doi:10.4088/pcc.v06n0301 [PMC free article]
- Kent ST, McClure LA, Crosson WL, Arnett DK, Wadley VG, Sathiakumar N. Effect of sunlight exposure on cognitive function among depressed and non-depressed participants: a REGARDS cross-sectional study. Environ Health. 2009; 8:34. Published 2009 Jul 28. doi:10.1186/1476-069X-8-34. [PMC free article]
- Baggerly CA, Cuomo RE, French CB, et al. Sunlight and Vitamin D: Necessary for Public Health. J Am Coll Nutr. 2015; 34(4): 359-365. doi:10.1080/07315724.2015.1039866. [PMC free article]